Dave

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
I'm using a single phase auto to generate 415 and then capacitors and

the
pilot motor to generate the 3rd phase. It seems to run OK in star but

when I
connect the load motor (2HP) it has a marked effect on the pilot, when I

run
the pilot in delta it pops a 13A fuse at start up.

I can't really follow that, but it sounds as if you haven't got a proper
converter and are trying to use some sort of lash-up with a second
motor(?).

I'm converting a static converter to a rotary converter by adding a large
pilot motor.

Some success at doing that was reported here a while ago, but
it all sounded rather hairy. If you do a Google groups search with the
search string as "3-phase motor group:uk.d-i-y author:andy authorugh"
you'll find plenty to read.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a look

I suggest getting either a single-phase motor or a proper static

converter.

Single phase isn't an option (the primary load motor is 2HP, 3 speed and
buried deeply in the bowels of a lathe, there's also the coolant pump); I'm
converting a static converter to a rotary converter by adding a pilot motor.

BTW, if you're trying to run a 4 kW (3 HP) motor via a 13 A fuse it's
not surprising the fuse blows at start-up! For motors of that size you
want a dedicated circuit with (say) a 32A fuse for s/c protection, and
an overload relay in the starter for overload protection.

The pilot motor is running at zero load, just acting as a rotary
transformer; running current (admittedly in star) is just under 1A/ph.

Try http://www.brookcrompton.com/ and look for technical support.

I looked here earlier but couldn't find any decodes (or even a tech

support
section)

No, but under "worldwide service" you can find a UK telephone number to
ring.

--
Andy