James Sweet

"RM" wrote in message
news
I had a Western Digital mod.WD1200 120gb and a mod. WD600 60 gb both
working fine until my power supply died. After replacing the power
supply bios will not detect either drive. I tried them in other
computers with the same result. The only thing I can assume is that
the power supply put out too much voltage and burned something
out on the logic boards.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse or resistor (hopefully) that blows
in case of over-voltage in these models? Also, the logic boards on
these drives are super easy to remove with no wires to unsolder.
If I get a working drive of the same model and exchange boards could
I recover my data? Is there anything that could blow inside the sealed
drive with too much voltage?
I had some backup but I was also backing up from drive to drive
thinking "what are the odds both drives would fail at the same time"?
Apparently, not that high.

There's too many variables to know, there could be a fuse of some sort, if
so it shouldn't be too hard to track down but you may be screwed. With some
luck you may be able to recover your data by swapping over a board from an
identical drive, I've had good luck with this in the past but drives are
more advanced now so YMMV. Good luck.