AJ

James Salisbury wrote:
"Peter Ramm" wrote in message

Posting here as I think what I have to say may be of interest - also
looking for advice on which is more appropriate group to post to.

Firstly there is an introduction to "the problem" - but then four
particular questions:

I have stayed in the same "4 star" hotel in London each week for the
last four weeks in different rooms each time:

Week one: noticed that there was a heated towel-rail in the bathroom
which had a bonding cable from the earth bonding point on the rail
which disappeared through a hole in the wall - I assumed to be
strapped to part of the plumbing or a suitable bonding point. Good.

Week two: noticed that the earth bonding point on the towel rail was
not connected to anything - also there was an electrical appliance
testing sticker saying that the equipment had failed its test, was
potentially dangerous and not to be used. The equipment was connected
to the mains and in use. Definitely not good.

Week three: There was no earth bonding cable from the bonding point on
the towel rail - the rail was not in use - I assume the fuse had been
pulled because of there being no bonding. Good.

Week four: the bonding point on the towel rail was not connected to
anything. The towel rail was in use. Not good.

Actions:
Week two: I strongly expressed my concern to the duty manager -
explained the problem and said that I expected it to be sorted and
that I did not expect to experience such "problems" again. All
comments apparently taken on board, the duty manager would pass on my
concern to the Hotel Engineer.

Week four: asked to see duty manager - he arranged meeting with Hotel
Engineer.

I explained my concerns to the Engineer (he was aware of my earlier
concerns). He explained that the rail was adequately bonded to earth,
as the rail was supplied by a conventional three wire cable (one of
which was earth) which terminated in a junction box. The earth from
the junction box was itself earth bonded to two independant "earthed
risers" in the hotel.

I disagreed and said that I thought that this was not sufficient and
was certainly not an in dependant earth bonding of the appliance.

I asked him if the wiring of the appliance conformed to the relevant
IEEE regs. He said that he "thought" that it did. I commented that
"thought" was not sufficient.

Questions:

1) What is the most appropriate group for my query?
2) Are my concerns justified?
3) Is the hotel actually breaking the law in any way?
4) To whom should I escalate?
--
Pete Ramm

Stamp out Spam - See my anti-spam pages:
http://www.spamfreezone.org

Try the enviromental health department of the local council.

It might fall under the fire certification system. - (depending on the
area) they need to have electrical certificates to pass the fire
certificate inspection.