RM

Default Hard drive horror story X2

I had a Western Digital mod.WD1200 120gb and a mod. WD600 60 gb both
working fine until my power supply died. After replacing the power
supply bios will not detect either drive. I tried them in other
computers with the same result. The only thing I can assume is that
the power supply put out too much voltage and burned something
out on the logic boards.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse or resistor (hopefully) that blows
in case of over-voltage in these models? Also, the logic boards on
these drives are super easy to remove with no wires to unsolder.
If I get a working drive of the same model and exchange boards could
I recover my data? Is there anything that could blow inside the sealed
drive with too much voltage?
I had some backup but I was also backing up from drive to drive
thinking "what are the odds both drives would fail at the same time"?
Apparently, not that high.