Warren Weber

"Banister Stairwell" wrote in message
"Jdmst" wrote in message
news
Hi Warren,
Thanks for the info. It sounds right to me. There was nothing wrong in

my
opinion with the brushes. I will just toss the thing out I think.
Thanks again.

Hi John,

Before you throw it out, check and see if you can take the motor itself in
somewhere and have it repaired. I'm talking about an outfit who's only
business is that of repairing electric motors. These places have all the
parts and tools necessary to rewind armatures, turn and true commutators,
fabricate new brush assemblies, replace motor bearings...the whole nine
yards. I've been able to resurrect a number of devices that use electric
motors that otherwise were candidates for the scrap heap by removing the
defective motor and simply taking the motor in to have it repaired.

I would at least look into this before throwing the mower away.

Just my .02 cents.

I worked for Westinghouse motor/transformer repair in the late 40's. All

motor armatures were soaked in a special varnish. Then baked. This anchored
the windings so vibration would not allow the windings to rub and then short
to another wire. The cheap junk made now are just wound no varnish. Some do
not even have the wires anchored well at the termination to bars (where
brushes ride) so a lot of failures are due to a broken connection to the
bar. This will cause heavy arcing on the brushes. Warren