Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe-46er" wrote in message

Right now the freezer section works as follows: 22 degrees at the
bottom and 32 degrees at the top. (I don't know why the discrepancy.)
The non-freezer section maintains a 52 degree temp. These are when set
at max cold.

Check to see if the evaporator fan is working It circulates the air and if
it stops, the freezer is OK but the fridge section warms up. If that is the
problems, it can be a PITA to get to, but otherwise reasonable cost and not
overly difficult to replace.

check out www.repairclinic.com for some information also.

Is it worth calling in a repairman? I figure that the worst problem I
could have is a bad compressor. So what might that cost? Is it
cost-effective to repair or should I just go get a new one? The
original was $900 at the time. I can get an equivalent today for
around $700.

If it is the compressor (and I doubt it) buy a new one, but chances are, you
can have it fixed for $100 or so.

This brings up another issue...finding an honest repairman. I recall
seeing a TV consumer special about how unscrupulous some are.

Most often, the local dealer has fairly competent repair people on staff.
Some independents are great, others, shoddy. Ask a neighbor if they had any
repairs for a reference.