NoOne N Particular

I see two advantages of pipe clamps over something like the Bessey K-bodies.
First is price. For the price of one 50" Bessey K-body you can probably get
4 3/4 inch pipe clamps and pipe.

Second, with pipe clamps you can alter the length to fit the situation. You
just buy different lengths of pipe and switch them out as needed. I had a
project a few months ago that needed a couple of 8 foot clamps. All I had
to do was buy a couple of cheap pieces of 8' black pipe, take the pipe
clamps off of the short pipes, screw them on the long pipes, and walla.
That also works in reverse. I had another project that needed a lot of
short clamps. I put 2' pieces of pipe on my pipe clamps and used them. But
I still didn't have enough short clamps and wound up having to use some long
40" and 50" Bessey k-body clamps. For that particular project, the length
of the K's was a PITA, and there was no sane way to make them shorter. To
go along with that I must say this. My pipe clamps are for 1/2 inch pipe.
When used on the 8' sections of pipe, they REALLY bent. I had to take some
steps to try and counteract the bend (wedges), but they did get the job
done. A 3/4 inch pipe would have been MUCH better.

So to finally answer your question directly, if you can possibly afford it,
get good quality clamps such as the Bessey K-body clamps. The parallel
clamping action of the jaws is a good thing. If you have/want to use pipe
clamps, get the 3/4". The versatility and price will be good. Or do both.

Wayne

"Robert Rushing" wrote in message
I'm in need of some clamps. I was looking at pipe clamps and have a few
questions. I will be gluing up a small cabinet and need atleast six

clamps.
Working in the 36 to 48" range is 3/4 pipe clamp necessary are will a 1/2
work ok? Also HD had some I frame Jergenson sp clamps 36" that are
competitive with buying pipe and ends for pipe clamp. Are the I frame
clamps sturdy enough to glue up a cabinet with I have never used them
before? I have read that the Bessy clamps are best but at $37 and needing
six they will have to wait.

Thanks
Robert R