Eric Tonks

Last time I bought casement windows I had the choice of left opening, right
opening and fixed. Most windows that I bought were multiple casement units.
If there were two casements in a unit I opted for one to open. If there were
three or more casements in a unit I opted for the outer windows to open.

To have every window in a multiple window unit is expensive, and an
additional source of air and water leaks. You do not need more than two
windows that open in a multiple window unit, you have one left opening and
one right opening to catch the wind in each direction. The rest would be
fixed windows.

One thing with builders (and any custom work) is that EVERYTHING must be
specified in detail, whether it is the type and colour of the light
switches, model of the toilets and sinks, windows by brand, model and
openings, floor covering, tiles --- on and on. Without this, you leave it up
to the discretion of the builder who may have different ideas and taste, and
you have to take what he gives you whether it is good quality or cheap crap.

"Me" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
The contract on our house says, "All windows casement except bay

flankers".
To me, that means every window is a casement window that opens. The

builder
claims that every window is a casement window, though most of them
(curiously, not all) have a fixed section of glass (pane, window, ?) and a
casement section.

+-------+-------+
| | |
| | |
| this | fixed |
| opens | |
+-------+-------+

Our current house has similar windows and both sides open in every window
large enough to be split. I find myself referring to the entire opening as

window, but then referring to the individual sheet of glass as a window as
well, so I can see the argument from the builder's perspective while

knowing
what I intended when we ordered the windows. Can anyone clarify for me?

FWIW: The windows are Andersen and when I look at their web site, they

don't
even show casement windows with a fixed side!

Thanks!

Randy Hermann
rDOThermannATsbcglobalDOTnet