mrcheerful

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
Trying to re-silicone my shower enclosu

[1] remove all old silicone.

[2] apply thin bead of new silicone along junction to be sealed

[3] run wet finger or similar shaped tool along bead of new silicone
pushing excess ahead of tool.

Now what am I doing wrong? The excess builds up in front of my finger
until there is too much and it then deposits either side of the bead like
a little snow drift!

I assume that this means that there is too much silicone laid down in the
first place but if I don't put enough down I get gaps in the smoothed
bead.

All this is even worse were I'm sealing the side panels into the wall
fixings because I'm trying to seal against only a 1.5mm edge where two
panels meet rather than into a 90 deg corner.

TIA

Richard

Always apply the silicone ahead of the tube, rather than drag the nozzle,
this fills better so you need to apply less. Try to get the nozzle cut to
the right width and shape so that no extra smoothing is necessary.
But if you need to smooth try the following:
put masking tape either side of the line, then after smoothing lift away
the tape leaving a clean straight edge.

mrcheerful