Joseph Meehan

Default Caulk and wood siding

PGG wrote:
I've noticed light and drafts coming in my basement between the threshold
between the foundation and the walls. On a whim I bought this caulk-like
product that expands. I did the bottom edge of my wood siding (the edge
between the bottom piece and the foundation).

However now I'm flipping through the notes I took while doing the home
inspection, and I have written down "never caulk cracks in the wood
siding".

Anybody know what he is talking about?

Was caulking between the bottom wood siding piece and the foundation bad?

Maybe. Some people would disagree with the advice about not caulking
cracks in wood siding. I would at least word it more carefully and I
suggest not calking the overlap crack.

No matter what some moisture is going to find it's way behind the
siding. You want a way for that moisture to escape and that is the crack
where the horizontal rows of siding meet. This includes the last row.

Now the crack between the sill plate (the 2x4 sitting on the foundation)
and the foundation should be sealed. I would generally suggest doing this
as the house is built with a material made for the use, or if that was not
done, with a product like you used from the inside, not the outside.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math