Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Neil" writes:
Hi all

The felt on my 3 year old pitched roof has failed in several places adjacent
to the leadwork of a valley gutter and the recent heavy rains have allowed

I had one redone nearly 20 years ago -- it was 90 years old at that time.
The lead had cracked over the years with temperature cycling and you
could see light though holes in it from the loft.

A neighbour did it for me (he taught building). He fitted a plastic
valley instead. I might not have this all remembered right, but I think
there's a thick plastic sheet under both the felt and the valley
gutter. The gutter then goes on this sitting in it's V timber support.
The felt then lays slightly into the gutter. I don't think there's
any mortar on mine -- the tiles are all cut to the angle of the gutter
and just overhang into it. I can only see it by going up there on a
ladder or from a neighbours garden, so it's not easy to look and see.

--
Andrew Gabriel