Chaos Master

) whispers:

Not necessarily. Data is stored in sectors, each of which is
preceded by an identification block. The data in both the sector
proper and the identification block are normally protected by
CRCs, to detect any errors. Your power surge could have induced
something in the heads while passing over those areas and
corrupted them. If in the data section the error will go away
after writing new data there. If in the identification block the
sector is lost, because modern drives have no user available
method of low level formatting.

OK, Thanks.

However all drives fail. The only question is when. So, keep
backups if you value your data.

I have backup, but since it's mainly rare MP3 files, the problem would be
downloading them again.

Thanks for all that helped!
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.

They're plain text, anyway.