DanG

Doors make excellent desks and tops. Hollow doors work well for
desks. You can reuse prefinished doors. Most door shops and
lumber yards will give you deep discount on scratched and
blemished doors.

Most current production solid doors are particle board with veneer
on each face. Cheap doors have "other wood" rails and stiles.
High grade doors have rails and stiles that match the face veneer.
When you cut off one "end" you will expose the core. If it ends
at a wall, you're finished. You can install a wood cap if the
exposed core is objectionable.

Be awa
Old high quality solid doors can be stave core (glued up multiple
"other wood" strips). Actually better for your application.

Some are fire doors (lined with a mineral core/ used to be
asbestos). These typically have small colored plugs on the edges
where they injected the liquid slurry. Probably not conducive to
your project.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jerry" wrote in message
I'm going to build a new workbench (low-end) and was considering
laminating plywood, thick MDF, or using a solid core door as the
top.

What is inside a solid core door? The door is 30" x 80". I
only want
30" x 60". If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

Thanks.