Bob Peterson

Outlets are like clamps - you can never have enough. I'd be inclined to put
lots of them on the walls at convenient heights to avoid any need for
extension cords. Get 4X4 boxes and put two duplex receptacles in each one
on 4 separate circuits so you can plug in 4 tools at once and run them all
simultaneously if you want to.

A 12 space panelboard will allow you to have upto 24 circuits using duplex
breakers and ought to be more than adequate unless you have a lot of 2 pole
(230V) stuff you need to power.

I'd get a 100A panelboard and make the main on it the same size as whatever
I fed it from in the main panelboard. Most homes have a 200A service these
days so probably the biggest branch breaker you could have is 60A to feed
your workshop. That's probably enough, but I'd be inclined to look closely
at just what you might need both in your house and in your shop down the
road, and if it might come close to whatever your current service is, it
might make sense to get a service installed just for the shop, which would
probably be cheaper than upgrading your existing service if its already
200A. If you get a new service, go with a 200A service even if they offer a
100A service, the cost difference is not much and if you are going to all
this trouble and expense you might as well get the 200A service.

Allow for lots of lighting - switched outlets on the ceiling is the easiest
solution. Fluorescent fixtures can be hung on chains and plugged in over
your work areas.

"steve" wrote in message
Planning on putting up a garage this fall, that I will use primarily for a
woodworking shop. size is 24x32. 2 car garage with separate smaller
"workshop" extension. will probably use it for storage and finishing.
question is approximatly how much electricity should I use for the shop,
will probably have to have a subpanel from the main house, or might need
separate panel from the pole. any pro con for either. I have a table saw
and lots of hand held tools, but dust collection, air cleaner, and other
stationary tools are in the future. also how many outlets, how close
together etc. of course money is always an issue. will try and do alot
of
wiring myself, with electrician doing the actual hookups. any help would
be greatly appreciated..