orangetrader

Default Installing plywood over windows for hurricane

OK may be this is a little late for Frances, but a few questions:

Single story house in Miami, CBS construction, single slab foundation on
piles, awning windows.

(1) What is the best way to install plywood over the windows? Should I
cover the window and then drill in Tapcon to attach to the walls at the
corners? or is it better to use mansory anchors, and then drill holes on the
wood, fit over and fasten with nuts? This way I can reuse the anchors next
time. Plywood cannot be used once they get wet.

(2) Is it better to fit one big sheet over large windows, or fit a few
narrower strips vertically? I saw someone cut into strips and installed
them separately, wonder why other than it's easier to install (lighter
weight), assuming the same number of screws of course.

(3) Have two rear windows with burglar casing, what is the best way to
protect those? Plywood won't fit over.

(4) If the window is 48" high X 36" wide, and the plywood is 60"x80", would
you cover it horizontally, vertically, or cut to smaller size to fit? Which
will give best protection?

Thanks in advance,