Edwin Pawlowski

"David Chamberlain" wrote in message

Yup, it is I. I had the bad experience down here in Georgia of being
charged a 17% surcharge on wood for planing and shrinkage. If you take a
board that is 12" X 3/4" X 12" up to the front desk, you get charged for
1.17 board feet. If you are buying 300 bd ft, that is quite a hit. I
ordered 300 bd ft from Hartzell and ended up with a bit more than 300 bd
ft.
The tractor trailer delivered it quickly.

Interesting concept. Of course there is a loss for planing and a cost for
doing it, and nothing is free. Can you pay the list price on rough cut
stock?

I have two sources that will joint and plane my wood purchases. The service
is "free", but the cost has to covered in there someplace. I guess it is a
matter of perception and actual prices. If the going price for oak is $3
and they charge $2.50 for rough cut and $2.93 for the planed after
surcharge, it is a good deal but you are unhappy with the surcharge. If
they charge $3.50 for rough and do the planing "free" you have a big happy
smile while getting porked in the rear.

If they are charging $3 and then adding 17%, it is probably fair, but the
perception is not.
Ed