Andrew Beck

You are right, this is static pressure.

The boiler spec says it requires a pressure of 0.3 bar for minimum flow rate
(2.7 l/min)

Interesting I have found the following quote about water flow rate on my
water company's web site

" A simple check: provided the cold tap in your kitchen (whilst running at
full bore) can almost fill a 2 gallon bucket within about 1min, your flow
and pressure is satisfactory. "
(http://www.threevalleyswater.co.uk/h...pressure.shtml)

Which is about what I'm getting.
My problem is an unbalanced flow, all cold and no hot.

What I'm looking for is a balanced flow i.e. the cold water flow is no more
than 50 % of the total water flow.

Andrew

"Set Square" wrote in message
Andrew Beck wrote:

It was British Gas that fitted the Combi for the previous owner.

The boilers manual says minimum flow rate for the boiler is 2.7 l/min
The mains water pressure for maximum flow rate is 0.8 bar

I know the pressure of the mains above 2.5 bar (as it can fill the
closed heating circuit to this pressure)

Andrew

Yes, but I fear that you're confusing static pressure with pressure when
there's a significant flow. From what you said earlier, the flow to the
combi more or less stops when you turn cold taps on. This indicates that,
when water is flowing elsewhere, the pressure drops to a level which is
insufficient for the combi - presumably to below the required 0.8 bar.
This
is almost certainly because of restrictions in the supply line - which
will
cause a pressure drop which is dependent on flow rate.

To illustrate with a guesstimate example: Attach pressure gauge to
pipework
just above the stop-cock. Static pressure, with all taps off: 2.6 bar.
Turn
kitcken tap full on - giving 10 litres per minute, or whatever. Pressure
now
0.6 bar - because a flow of 10 litres per minute causes a pressure drop of
2.0 bar down your 15mm supply pipe. [These aren't the actual figures, of
course - but I have a shrewd suspicion that they ain't that far out].
--
Cheers,
Set Square