SQLit

wrote in message
I'm looking for a few opinions (I know, there are LOTS of opinions
here).

Over the last few years, I've been evaluating replacing an existing
Carrier AC system in my home. The existing unit was built in 1987 and
has been working fine, though I suspect it's days are numbered. Hence
I've been comparing options.

Based on my own rough Manual J, as well as estimates of a couple
contractors that have been out here, the house should have about a 4
ton unit. Currently it's running with a 5 ton unit (the previous owner
always liked to supersize everything...) so I'm stuck with a system
that doesn't effectively remove moisture or maintain a stable
temperature. So I'm looking at making some changes.

snipped

I would spend some time with the system I have before dumping it.
If oversized, check the fan connection for the air handler. If on high move
to medium. Slowing down the air will remove more humidity.
Stable temps, your a little vague about the cause. If it is 115 out side the
unit is going to run more often than when it is 90. Check your insulation
in the attic. I added R-19 to my home build in 1999 and dropped the bills
in half. Also added R-30 to the garage which had nothing.
Balance the registers, I had to close down the ones close to my return and
force the air to the fartherest parts to stabilize my home. You may have to
do this twice a year.
Lastly consider an new vfd air handler matched to the compressor.

---