Howie

Hi again everyone,

Firstly, let me thank you all for your advice. I always highly
value the information from this group.

It does look like I will need to speak to a structural engineer
doesn't it?! I have dug the first 4 feet and have a good idea
what the ground is like. Luckily it is very solid, clay-based
earth with numerous smallish rocks. it is very difficult to force
anything to move, even with a mini-digger! However, I know that
this is a much bigger risk as I move further down!
I will probably attempt this in the spring as water tables lower.
I am not digging a trench as such, I am levelling land on a
hillside which will leave a 10' retaining wall on one side, and
only a 6' one on the other. The lower side has little pressure as
it continues down the hill anyway. I've put some pictures here,
to show you the site itself:
http://www.coakley.co.uk/temp/carport1.JPG
http://www.coakley.co.uk/temp/carport2.JPG
http://www.coakley.co.uk/temp/carport3.JPG

I _would_ like to do this myself, as time is not as important as
cost. However, following your advice, I will obtain help from a
srtuctural engineer first. I'll report back with the advice.
I will also take a few piccies and post the link in this thread
so that you guys can see what I'm trying to do here (for those
that are interested).
Any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks again.

H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk