anthony james

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message news:QhKZc.179
I used a http://tinyurl.com/4meee on the last one I installed.

That would have been even better and just goes to show i should have
asked first. I made a decision to ignore the electrical regs and put
the switch in - it can be taken out of circuit in future and there's a
fused spur outside the shower room.

Talking to our electrician the UK regs now seem so over the top as to
be laughable - as i understand it you cant even have a ring main
running THROUGH a bathroom so each of the electrical devices in a
bathroom now needs to have a fused spur outside the room with only the
load wire running to the appliance.

I was in Switzerland recently. It's a pretty tightly regulated
society with very high construction standards and while we were there
we visited some friends in a stunning high-spec 'executive' apartment
in Zurich. The fuse box for the apartment was in the shower room wall
with a metal door and the lightswitch was inside the room. I dont
think the bathroom light switches had an integrated socket (most of
the others did) but i'm sure there were a couple of sockets in the
bathroom anyway.

In the UK I can have a plug socket as close as i want to the sink in
the kitchen where i'm washing up but cant have a light switch in the
same room as a toilet? If you're stupid enough to dry your hair in
the bath you're probably stupid enough to run an extension lead from
the next room to do it.