Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article DSQZc.1963$UR2.1628@trnddc08, James Sweet wrote:

I was thinking they had a chain of diodes and made use of the voltage drop,
guess I could be wrong though.

The "converters" are just a big resistor. They really have very little use
except for things like hair dryers.

Your best bet is to:

1. If it has a "wall wart" bring the 120v with you and get a replacment
when you arrive. They are relatively cheap, and will fit the local outlets.
It's a lot easier to get an exact replacement if you have the original
in your hand.

2. Buy a transformer. Note that they are sold as xxx watt, but it's really
xxx VA on a good day if the moon is in the right phase. Expect to
use the transformer for half of it's rating.

If you come to Jerusalem, I can give you the name of a transformer
shop that will make what ever you want to specification. For example,
most transformers don't carry the ground through, I had a 250va
transformer (not auto transformer as most are) with the ground carried
through and a grounded core made up for my grounded tip soldering iron.

3. Think multivoltage/multisystem, when you buy things. Make your next
hair dryer a multivoltage one, etc. Buy in shops that specialize in
serving the 220 volt community instead of "travel shops".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838