George

Your response to the first indicated that you do not know what holds a
dovetail in the recess. You wrote "Also, many of us refuse to use our
chucks expanded into a recess." It is not expansion into a recess that
holds, it is a wedging of the nose of the jaws into the base of the piece by
the dovetail. You are one of many, if this forum is any indication, who do
not understand this. We have a lot of people talking about "tightening" in
the recess, which is dead wrong. Take a look at
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm and following
to see how to add the recess to your turning possibilities.

You also do not understand that if you care to decorate the bottom, you may
do so _before_ reversing to hollow, as long as you provide a flat surface
for the jaws to bear against. I do not normally do more than sand smooth,
but will gladly furnish photographic examples of this useful technique as
well, if your interest is in new creative opportunities.

Last, the day a customer brings something for me to re-turn, refinish,
embellish or otherwise modify what I have created to my own standard, is the
day I give my first refund.

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...
A cute response. Maybe even not nice. But...

I find that a tenon will always do the job better and there is not the

chance of blowing out
the dovetail -- it happens you know. Anyway, I would never leave a

dovetail on the bottom of
anything -- I want no sign of how the piece was chucked or it is a failure

as far as I'm
concerned. So, I'd have to reverse chuck and get rid of the dovetail.

That said, I'd rather
get rid of a tenon.

I know that Raffin uses dovetails and leaves them that way on his work --

his logic is that
he can then rechuck and re-turn a piece at any time. I wonder how many

times a customer has
brought a piece back to him to re-turn.

Bill

In article , george@least says...
Or - you don't know how....

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...

Also, many of us refuse to use our chucks expanded into a recess.

There
are better ways to
do it.