MBQ

Mike Mitchell wrote in message . ..

Well, I fundamentrally disagree with all of that, but don't just take
my word for it, look at what The Scotsman reported only a couple of
weeks ago:

"SCOTLAND?S system of buying houses - once greatly envied - is in
serious crisis as a result of the property boom of the last few years.
With demand high and supply relatively tight in the main urban
markets, the gentlemanly sealed-bid system, policed by scrupulous
solicitors? agents, has gone by the board. Widespread accusations that
solicitors and estate agents are deliberately marketing properties far
below their true market value - to entice potential customers and thus
artificially generate competition - has prompted an investigation by
the independent watchdog, the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA). Such
false advertising wastes buyers? time and money. Nor do sellers always
gain: the incidence of "gazundering" (where a successful buyer reneges
on the original offer price) is on the increase."

All you have described is a problem with the people, not the system
per se. There will always be manipulation and rogues, whatever the
system. I'm sure you could search various newspaper archives and come
up with just as many reasons why the English system is bad.

I thought Gazundering wasn't possible in the Scottish system since you
have a contract once a bid is accepted. There must surely be some
penalty clause.

MBQ