John Rumm

Lee wrote:

You can sometimes get away with slightly longer cables if they are
shielded. Haven't seen anything in the ATA specs about shielded cables,
but I am using a round 28" ide cable with two ATA133 drives with no
apparent problems (very large case and the drives are in an awkward

I think I have used 34" in the past - but that was probably only ATA66.
As with most of these things, what happens in reality will vary on many
factors so you may as well try it and see what gives!

position) - this cable is nicely constructed though with the data lines
in shielded cable with an overall grounded shield.
The mobo also recognises it as a 80 conductor cable, ISTR that it cost a
stupid amount of money though...

The mobo or the cable? The round cables can be had for relatively little
these days.

--
Cheers,

John.