RichardS

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:45:50 +0100, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

snip
It is all very well taking the moral high road in relation to sellers
"ripping off" buyers but, in my time as an agent, I saw many many more
buyers trying to rip off sellers than the other way round.

Maybe that is because there is no formal legal agreement until
exchange. If the buyer had to find 10% deposit at the time of the
offer, then buyers would be a lot more circumspect and the time
wasters would stay home.

snip

I just don't get this.

You're currently marketing your house and apparently dismayed at the lack of
offers, yet you would propose a system whereby a potential buyer would have
to cough up £20k in ready cash at the point of making an offer?

Well, it's surely one way to eliminate time-wasters, but you're also going
to eliminate an awful lot of perfectly serious and good buyers in one fell
swoop.

What surity should the buyer have in case you decide to pull out of the sale
(for whatever reason)? Would you be required to stump up £20k to be held in
escrow until the transaction is completed?

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk