RichardS

"Howie" wrote in message
Hi again all,

I am about to dig out a section of sloping hillside to make a
garage or carport. I will end up (on the highest side) with a
sheer face of earth approx 10' high and 18' long which I will
need to retain.

snip

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to seek professional design for
this structure before you start. This is going to be holding back a
seriously large mass of earth and soil conditions might lead to special
construction requirements.

Falling walls can, and do, kill people, and if the worst did happen, then
I'd certainly want to be able to demonstrate due diligence in the planning
and execution of the project.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at