MLD

"Jim B" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:20:06 -0400, "John Gilmer"

wrote:

Let me tell you a story..
Shortly after we moved into the house, our eight years old plus, 40 gal

water
heater failed to remain lighted. I paid the plumber $80, 15 minutes to

replaced
the thermostat. A few days later it again failed to remain lighted. Hmm...

figured it will cost another $100 plus for the plumber to fixed the same

problem
and there is there is no guarantee it will be trouble free.

I decided to replace it with a 10-year warranty US Craftmaster heater for

$125.
I also bought copper pipes, pipe cutter, solder, two flexible PTFE hoses

(high
temps stainless steel braided hose), a ball valve and precise length black

gas
pipes. I took all safety precautions, checked and rechecked everything,

then
spend a few hours to replaced the water heater, I am basically

underweight.

I am NOT saying I know everything, but I will try to DIY. Everyone knows

it cost
you an arm or leg if you call a plumber or electrician. I have experienced

in
silver solder extreme pressure (10,000 psi high impulse) hydraulic hoses
couplings.

My only problems, will the Midwest freezing temp in winter affect the ball

valve
and how to turn on the gate valve outside the house.

Great to be able to do everything yourself. But as soon as you mention
*Gas* you're in a "big risk, little reward" situation in my opinion.
Liability is the word--do you think that your insurance company will pay for
a home replacement if they investigate and find out that it was a home, DIY,
unlicensed installation that caused the gas leak and Kabooom that followed.
Even though it hurts to pay for something that you can handle on your own,
is the risk worth it?