nightjar

wrote in message ...
"nightjar" nightjar@ insert_my_surname_here.uk.com wrote:

"Colin" wrote in message

But
remember it may pay to spend a bit.

What sort of things do you need to look out for when buying a

scaffold?

If you've ever had to put one up, you'll know to buy aluminium, not

steel.

Not my experience, my steel one is fine to put up. OK, if I was
assembling and disassembling it daily it would become hard work but
that really isn't normally the case for DIY use. Mine can be moved
once assembled so I can go along a wall for example without taking it
down and putting it up again.

I would be dubious about the safety of moving a 5m high tower about
(presumably outside) unless it were on a very level surface.

Given that steel appears to be a *lot* cheaper than aluminium in my
case it's a choice of a steel tower or no tower at all.

I don't need one often enough to justify buying over hiring. I've borrowed a
steel one and hired aluminium. Because the aluminium ones were made for
commercial use, they had latching fixings to hold the tower components
together and extra diagonal bracings, which made the tower a lot more stable
than the steel one. They also had an integral ladder, leading up through a
trapdoor in the platform.

Colin Bignell