GaryP

Default Sears 70 pint dehumidifier

Has anyone else had problems with the humidistat on the Sears 70 pint
dehumidifier being grossly inaccurate and cycling the unit off and on
frequently? I'm on my third unit from two different stores over a period of
two months (Sears is second to none in no-hassle exchanges) and they have
all worked this way. If I set the electronic humidistat to 70%, the unit
will run and rather quickly bring the humidity down as low as 45-55% RH or
so, then start cycling off and on in about two minute intervals (off about
two minutes, on about two minutes). If I set it to 65%, the unit will run
for a while to bring the humidity level a bit lower, then start cycling
again. Setting it lower continues to have the same effect.

When I first turn the unit on and it's humid, it will run for quite a while
brining the humidity down like it's suppose to do without cycling,
indicating it functions well and isn't icing up, etc. It's just the
frequent cycling (literally off and on, off and on, almost every two
minutes) as though it needs to sample the air to determine if it should
continue to run that is annoying and can't be good for the compressor (both
the fan and compressor are cycling).