Chuck

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:06:20 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

Deb,

I would assume your are turning bowls with mahogany glue ups.

Why do you assume that?

Drill out the center of the bowl with a forstner bit (bigger the better) to
get rid of the bulk of the material to be removed. Then, very, very
lightly work from the center to the edge, cutting your thickness as you go.

That's interesting. I've found, especially with ornery wood, that I
like to work from the outside in, turning down most of the way to the
bottom on the outside, so the inner wood (un-drilled) supports the
rest of the bowl and there's much less vibration and movement.

Where did you get the mahogany?

Are you in need of mahogany? I know where you can get it, if you are.
Up to at least 12/4 stock, anyhow, of genuine mahogany. (Nice stuff,
too.)

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com