John Gilmer

"Yitzak" wrote in message
om...
Hi I have a corridor like cellar, with a concrete floor which has
broken in many places exposing damp dirt floor. This means I always
bring dirt back upstairs when I come back.

As money and time come available, just do a small area at a time. There is
no point in removing the sound concrete.

Years ago, my parents basement had the same problem. In thier case, tree
roots had first pushed the "slab" up and then when the tree died, the
"slab" cracked into the void.

The best plan would be to dig it up and put a damp proof course etc.

Why? That's a major job: bust up a lot of sound concrete; hawl the stuff
away, prepare the base, and pour and finish it. You don't need it and the
new slab might crack if you missed the cause of the first failure.

As I really don't use the cellar that much I would love to lay a "mat"
with holes so that the floor can "breath" and more importantly not
smell once it had been down there for a while.

Any ideas for the right product..