Jim B

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:46:39 GMT, KJS wrote:

Thanks, you have given me sufficient information to go ahead to replace with
ball valve. I do appreciate your input.

As far as ball valves go. I replumbed my house 15 years ago and installed
nylon-seat/stainless-ball copper sweat type valves for the main and all
others. Very satisfactory improvement. They operate easily and have no
packings to leak. You need to be proficient at sweat-soldering to install
them without frying the nylon seat. Unlike traditional valves, you can't
remove the non-metal parts for soldering. (You shouldn't have to do this,
but it's safer if you're prone to over-heating the fitting).

I'm also very impressed with the ball-valve version of supply stops that have
become available about 10 years ago. I know various posters have said they
or their plumbers are hesitant to use them, but I've had no problems. They
don't freeze or stick and have no packings to leak. Of course, we don't know
how they'll hold up in 40 years, but so far so good.

Good Luck,

- Kenneth