KJS

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:13:44 -0700, Jim B wrote
(in article ):

The shut off valve coming into the house is leaking in the basement and like
replace it with a ball valve. I believe it will be simpler to install and
quicker to shut off in the event of an emergency.

Anyone replace it from the normal screw type to a ball valve?

Secondary question, how do you remove the outside cast iron cover and what
tools
require to shut off the main?

Thank you in advance.

Jim B -

I can't help with the outside cast iron cover. I've never seen anything
meeting the description. In Los Angeles, we generally have cement meter
boxes by the curb with covers that simply lift out. The curb stop is turned
by a very large T-wrench about 4 feet long that has a two-sided socket which
engages the small rectangular handle - a good hardware shop or commercial
plumbing supply item. They're a useful tool to own in earthquake country.
However, as other posters have observed, the stop is utility property here
and, I imagine, elsewhere as well. If it's frozen, don't try to force it,
call them. They'll probably do the same thing in your area they do here,
which is to send out a crew to disassemble/lubricate/repair or replace the
valve (which may have not been operated for a long time). Once that's done
and you have the correct tool, you can operate it yourself.

As far as ball valves go. I replumbed my house 15 years ago and installed
nylon-seat/stainless-ball copper sweat type valves for the main and all
others. Very satisfactory improvement. They operate easily and have no
packings to leak. You need to be proficient at sweat-soldering to install
them without frying the nylon seat. Unlike traditional valves, you can't
remove the non-metal parts for soldering. (You shouldn't have to do this,
but it's safer if you're prone to over-heating the fitting).

I'm also very impressed with the ball-valve version of supply stops that have
become available about 10 years ago. I know various posters have said they
or their plumbers are hesitant to use them, but I've had no problems. They
don't freeze or stick and have no packings to leak. Of course, we don't know
how they'll hold up in 40 years, but so far so good.

Good Luck,

- Kenneth