MLD

Don't try to shut off the outside (city) shut off valve.let the city do it..
I recently had to replace my inside shutoff valve and when the city workers
tried to shut off the water to the house the long connecting rod (surface to
valve) broke due to years of non use and rust. Result was the street had to
be dig up to get at the valve, the rod replaced and then the top repaved.
Plumber replaced old gate valve with a ball valve and the cost was
reasonable and worth it. My plumber refused to shut off the outside water
supply because "sometimes bad things happen". I guess he knew what he was
talking about.
MLD
"Jim B" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:45:53 GMT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The leak is definitely require the dismantle of the valve to cure the

problem.
However, I'm more interested in replacing the gate type valve to a ball,

what do
you think?

Thanks

Where is it leaking? Does it just need packing? I tolerated a
drip for 15 year until it rotted the iron gate valve handle. When
I went to the hardware to buy a new valve, the guy asked why I didn't
just buy a handle & some packing.

Duh---- less than $5 & twenty minutes later I have a leak-free valve
with a new handle.

Jim