Jim Elbrecht

"M.Paul" wrote:

-snip-
For what it's worth, the patio will not be near the house and the area is
excavated 8 inches under which the soil is hard as rock.

Is it clay or something with good drainage? If it is clay, I
would definitely use it. It wont prevent weeds, as they will seed
from the top--- but it will keep the subsoil from mixing with your
base rock. [i used #2 crushed stone- ymmv] I used it-- it was cheap
in comparison to the whole job & easy to install & I couldn't think of
any way it could harm the job.

There will be 5"
of compacted base rock, 1" of concrete sand,

I used 5-6 inches of #2 stone as a base-- *power* tamped it-- then a
couple inches of 'fines'. Next time I'll use mason's sand instead
of the fines. The fines don't drain as well as sand -- and they
discolored the stones for a couple months until all the really fine
stuff soaked in.

I'm also real happy I broke down and rented a power tamper at the last
minute. I never would have done a decent job with a hand tamper.

the pavers and joints will be sealed. Also, the ground does not freeze
here.

-snip-

Without the ground freezing yours might be more forgiving of less
tamping. -- But anyone in frost country should spend the money on a
tamper. [$75 a day in this part of the world]

Jim