dg

Howie wrote in message . ..
Hi again all,

I am about to dig out a section of sloping hillside to make a
garage or carport. I will end up (on the highest side) with a
sheer face of earth approx 10' high and 18' long which I will
need to retain.
I am not very good at laying bricks or blocks, but I was
wondering if, after digging and pouring my foundations, I could
do the following:

I have seen concrete formwork blocks (don't know the correct
name) which are effectively two square 'tubes' in one block. They
are hollow. Looking from above, they look like this...

=================
= = =
= = =
= = =
=================

Now, I was wondering about laying these blocks with vertical
steel inserted into the hollow sections, and pouring concrete
into them as I build. Effectively, - ending up with a concrete
wall, - containing steel reinforcement.

Is this a reasonable proposition?

Appreciate any advice.
H.

I would not use those blocks nor that reinforcement.

Use normal solid (7 or 4N) blocks 330 thickness for the bottom third,
and then reduce to 225mm for the top two thirds.

The most important thing is to ensure a good sound foundation.

If you want to put some reinforcement in, then place it in the
[horizontal] bed joints as this will resist the horizontal thrust
better than vertical reinforcement would.

Loose fill beind the wall will help drainage and allow some
compression of the soil. A land drain behind the wall would be better
than weep holes too.

dg