Andy Hall

Default Loft Insulation

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:16:24 +0000,
wrote:

The tank has a jacket but is about 4' in the air on its platform which
is why I thought of putting insulated panels around its open support
structure, I suppose the real question is whether the insulation below
needs to be still left out if the tank itself is insulated well enough

I would insulate with sheets around the platform as you describe,
David. That way there is a small heat source from the house. I
suppose you could put a small amount of insulation on the ceiling
below the tank if you box in like this, but there is probably nothing
much to be gained.

If you simply put a thicker insulation around and under the tank, it
will simply reduce the rate at which the water cools in the tank when
the loft is very cold. In effect you are then gambling with how
long that is going to take.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl