Ralph

I also use a Shopsmith for turning and have a speed reduced as well. I
have the same problem with the speed reducer. I overcome this by useng
the reducer to rough out the bowl only. I then remove the reducer and
finish the bowl normally. I have turned bowls up to 13" to 14"
diameter. I'm also looking for a new lathe but that will have to wait
untill I get a larger shop in about a years time.

Doug Dubowski wrote:
I currently use a Shopsmith as my lathe. I use a speed reducer to get the
speed down to a manageable level when turning large bowls (12- 16") but I
continuously have a problem with the piece "whirling" with the reducer,
making it impossible to get the piece round. In spite of its shortcomings,
speed adjustment with the Shopsmith is actually quite good and variable.
The speed reducer has one speed range and the lathe without it another so it
is quite convenient. You lose quite a bit of length with the speed reducer
installed, and the tail stock is too flimsy for large pieces for support.
For smaller pieces it is actually quite good if one equips it with the cast
iron banjo and tool rest available. The major drawback with this piece is
that you lose a considerable amount of swing ( at least 4 inches on the
diameter). I have had the speed reducer checked out, but to no avail. I
still run into this whirling effect and I would like to move up to a
dedicated lathe that has sufficient features that it will last me for a very
long period of time. The DVR's small footprint, extendable bed length (I
predominantly do bowls), and swivalling headstock really appeal to me. The
only comparable lathe I can think of in the same price range are the new Jet
1642 lathes, but they are not available here in Canada as best as I can tell
and maybe too large. The Powermatic 3520a is certainly another option, but
it's too large and too expensive.

DD
"william kossack" wrote in message

what was your old lathe?

I used a grizzly for more than a year but started seriously looked for 6
months before settling on the DVR.

I could have gotten a bigger lathe but I needed to keep some portability.

The DVR fit several needs such as size, power, speed controls and price
range. When I describe
the speed control to anyone not familiar with the DVR their eyes open
wide. Contolling the rpm
in 5 rpm increments from 100 rpm to the top speed of the lathe and
getting a digital read out of the
speed is something that not many have on their lathes.

I've turned bowls as large as 15 inches wide and 9 inches deep (roughed
out) that started as 50
pound chunks and I've turned little one inch by one inch bowls while
playing with cuttoffs

Doug Dubowski wrote:

I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova

DVR

3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe?

Thanks.

DD