Dan Thomas

Maytags, here in Canada at least, are identical to some of the other
run-of-the-mill appliances I see in the stores. I think they're being
built by the same people who build most of the other machines for the
various brands, and so they're essentially identical mechanically and
not the superior construction that they used to be. I think they'd be
made in China if they weren't so big; shipping keeps that from being
worthwhile. I bought a 1964 Maytag washer/dryer set a few years ago,
used them in the house without much trouble, and brought them to the
shop when we bought a newer pair. We still use those old ones to do
coveralls, rags, and so on without a hitch, and the newer ones need
frequent tinkering.
It really burns me that the electronic stuff costs so much. It's
all profit: the mechanical timers were labour-intensive to assemble,
and there were many pieces in the things, all requiring various
different stamping dies, molds, machining and so on. The electronic
devices are made entirely by machine and human hands never touch them
except to stick them in the appliance. They cost more because they
impress the consumer more. They *look* more expensive.
I'm restoring a 1951 International Harvester pickup truck. Tired
of electronic engine controls and ignition, plastic, and aluminum
transmission cases. It now has a newer Ford engine in it, with a
points-and-capacitor distributor, and better rear axle ratio, but
there are no fancy doodads to give me fits.

Dan