Me

Default Common and/or Legal definition of "casement window"?

Hello,
The contract on our house says, "All windows casement except bay flankers".
To me, that means every window is a casement window that opens. The builder
claims that every window is a casement window, though most of them
(curiously, not all) have a fixed section of glass (pane, window, ?) and a
casement section.

+-------+-------+
| | |
| | |
| this | fixed |
| opens | |
+-------+-------+

Our current house has similar windows and both sides open in every window
large enough to be split. I find myself referring to the entire opening as a
window, but then referring to the individual sheet of glass as a window as
well, so I can see the argument from the builder's perspective while knowing
what I intended when we ordered the windows. Can anyone clarify for me?

FWIW: The windows are Andersen and when I look at their web site, they don't
even show casement windows with a fixed side!

Thanks!

Randy Hermann
rDOThermannATsbcglobalDOTnet