M.Paul

Default Paver Stone Patio Installation Question

I am in the excavation stage of a 500 sf. paver stone patio project. I have
already purchased the necessary materials: pavers, base rock, concrete sand,
snap edge etc, but I have one question... Should I use landscape fabric
under the base rock? Every book and web site concerning paver stone
installation that I've seen recommends using it. The paver manufacturer
(CalStone) doesn't mention it in their instructions and the distributor (who
appears to be quite knowledgeable on the subject) says it's not
recommended - they don't even carry the stuff.

For what it's worth, the patio will not be near the house and the area is
excavated 8 inches under which the soil is hard as rock. There will be 5"
of compacted base rock, 1" of concrete sand, and when the patio is complete
the pavers and joints will be sealed. Also, the ground does not freeze
here.

I've had paver patios with landscape fabric under the base material before
but still had weeds growing through the paver joints. I am told that
sealing everything from the top will prevent the weeds. I'm interested in
hearing about experiences from those that have skipped the landscape fabric
step.

Thanks,
M.Paul