Howie

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:03:47 +0100, "Mike Taylor"
wrote:

|for that height and length you will need without fail to get a structual
|engineer to design your wall. If you know nothing about it then do not even
|start. 10' high by 18' long is an enormous amount of weight. You will also
|have a problem constructing it due to possible slip unless it is designed
|properly.
|Back to your original question about hollow concrete blocks then yoes in
|principle what you have said is standard practise for smaller retaining
|walls.

Thanks for the help.

Really, I am viewing this as only a garden wall, - it's nowhere
near the house at all and there is no structure behind it. Also,
I was only putting a hard-standing on the lower side to use as a
carport, (maybe convert to a garage later). So basically, I was
hoping to avoid paying a structural engineer by asking here
instead!

I'm glad my thoughts on the hollow block with steel is a good
starting point. Appreciate your help.

H.
--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk