Howie

Default Building a retaining wall: Will this work?

Hi again all,

I am about to dig out a section of sloping hillside to make a
garage or carport. I will end up (on the highest side) with a
sheer face of earth approx 10' high and 18' long which I will
need to retain.
I am not very good at laying bricks or blocks, but I was
wondering if, after digging and pouring my foundations, I could
do the following:

I have seen concrete formwork blocks (don't know the correct
name) which are effectively two square 'tubes' in one block. They
are hollow. Looking from above, they look like this...

=================
= = =
= = =
= = =
=================

Now, I was wondering about laying these blocks with vertical
steel inserted into the hollow sections, and pouring concrete
into them as I build. Effectively, - ending up with a concrete
wall, - containing steel reinforcement.

Is this a reasonable proposition?

Appreciate any advice.
H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk