Cicero

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying one, approx 4-5m high - does anyone have any
recommendations for a good outlet? What can I expect to pay? As a
starting point, the ones on Screwfix seem to be around a grand which is a
bit mind-boggling; is that about par for the course?
Thanks
David

==================
The sizes you've quoted (approx 4-5m high ) give approximate working heights
of 19' and 22' (5.7 m and 6.9m) and both of these heights are a bit more
than is required for the average semi so you might get away with something
smaller depending on your needs. Having said that, I've been using two
lightweight steel towers (6' x 4') with a nominal working height of 18'.
'Working height' is usually based on the height of the actual tower plus the
height of an average man so my towers are about 12' high and my height
brings the working height up to the notional 18' 'working height' which is
adequate for working on gutters.

I got my towers from a firm in Wolverhampton (C & J Products, Noose lane,
Willenhall, Tel. 01902 366655) about 8 years ago and the cost then was about
£60-00 each plus the cost of plain timber boards from a local timber
merchant. These have proved very satisfactory for all the work I've done but
I wouldn't recommend them for anything which involved heavy loading such as
large stacks of bricks etc. Because they're made from lightweight steel
they're quite easy to erect and dismantle and subject to not overloading
they should be OK for most DIY work. Occasionally I've added a few extras
using standard scaffolding clips and poles so they're actually quite
versatile for unusual situations like getting over a porch.

Cic.