good stuff

On 30 Aug 2004 05:05:26 -0700, (larry) wrote:

hi,

after 30 years, the volume pot on my KA-9100 amp seems to be wearing
out.

i have read much on cleaning pots, (done that), and replacing pots.
my searching has found little on repairing pots.

'Secret Life of Pots' sailed right past the practicalities, (which i
need), and into the technicalites, (which i don't understand).

i was hoping someone had found a site with a faq or a howto on
repairing pots which they found useful.

any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanx,
larry

Was that a high speed int amp or the one before them ? I seem to
recall the high speed amps had special "conductive plastic" vol pots
in them but don't quote me on that one.

doubt you can repair it unless just shooting it with cleaner will do
it for you, you might try replacing with a substitute using "short"
wires to match up the connections. Probably keep the old knob on the
outside.

I'd find a good quality substitute pot, but don't go nuts on expensive
spaciality ones.

Some of those old Kenwood integrated amps were outstanding. Esp the
ones with the bitchn dual power supplies and the huge toroidal
transformer. Cap city.

Anyone remember the LO7M component series ? ooooh that tuner was
great.