raymondj

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to try 3 and 5, sounds like good
ideas.

I assume "spin dry" is the same as "shake violently dry"

One thing that I never do is hang the brushes. I always put them back
in their covers and lay them down horizontally. Perhaps this is my
biggest mistake?

(davefr) wrote in message om...
As others have said, prime the brush before using it with the
appropriate thinner then give it a spin dry.

Never clean a natural bristle brush with water, it'll swell.

Here's my cleaning formula:
1. The instant you're done with the brush throw it in a coffee can of
paint thinner. Now work it in the thinner. (swish, swish, swish...)
2. Now repeat #1 with fresh thinnner (ie swish, swish, swish...) and
spin it dry when you're done.
3. Now take some fresh laquer thinner and give it a third cleaning.
Laquer thinner removes some of the residual left behind with paint
thinner.
4. Now give it a final spin dry.
5. Finally take a few drops of mineral oil and massage it into the
bristles so they look shiny.
6. Put the brush back into the factory sleeve and hang it by the
handle. Never let a brush rest by standing it up on it's bristles.

(raymondj) wrote in message . com...
I clean white china bristle brushes using paint thinner and one of
those metal combs used for cleaning brushes. This appears to work but
after time the amount of "usable" bristles gets smaller. From the
metal piece growning downward it turns into a rock.

I purposely try to get this section by turning the brush upside down
with fresh paint thinner on it and working it with the comb.

What am I doing wrong, or is this just life? Thanks.