Sam Goldwasser

(Suraj Singh) writes:

It all depends on the type of power supply TV has. Nothing may go
wrong with some of the TVs when put in to a dimmer socket, it also
depends on how dim the dimmer is set. Most likely this TV doesn't use
a general type of SMPS.
What I mean by general type is that there would be fuse and some
protection circuit (surge suppressor, varistor, few coils) and then a
bridge rectifier on the supply input side. If this is the case why
anything go wrong unless dimmer sets the voltage too low and SMPS try
hard to boost it up.... and fail.

I am curious to know if anything go wrong with dimmer? Most of the
dimmers are good only for Resistive loads.

I successfully run a PC with ~300V DC which is actually designed to
run at 230V AC 50Hz.

Not surprising. As you note, the SMPS first rectifies the AC to produce
a bit over 300 VDC.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.