John Smith

"Tony Williams" wrote in message

"if I can get the nuts undone" is what happened to me
about a month ago, on the kitchen taps. I couldn't get
enough purchase on one of the fixing nuts, and a half
hour job turned into a hacksaw-blade exercise. And
you need arms like a gorilla to hold the tap steady
whilst trying to undo the nut with a less than
satisfactory spanner access.

Before you commit yourself, take the tap apart again
and have a closer look at it. That little piston
that holds the washer... is it bright and shiny, with
no traces of crud under the washer? Any crud there
and water seeps through the centre hole in the washer
and results in a small leak. Clean that piston
thoroughly before re-assembly.

When that's ok then look down the tap at the end of the
pipe that the washer bears down on. Is the top of the
pipe nicely smooth and rounded, with no crud on it?

Look for a crack or little chunk out of the bearing surface.
If it looks reasonably ok you might get away with just a
light skim with a facing tool.

--
Tony Williams.

Good advice Tony - actually, I have put two washers on the little piston -
one above and one below the metal disc.