Kevin

In another life as a machinist we had tools that were similar. They were
called 1 2 3 blocks. The dimensions were, as stated 1.000 X 2.000 X 3.000
and were used in setups. The accuracy to 3 decimal points indicated that
they could be +/- .0003 off. They were made of good tool steel, cut and
ground down to within a couple hundreths, holes drilled to lighten them up
a bit as well as tapping several of the holes so the blocks could be
attached to one another. After this they were sent out to be heat treated
(hardened) then ground to the proper dimensions on a surface grinder.
As the dimensions are off on this tool perhaps it was for a different type
set up that was often used.

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
I posted a few more photos this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Over the weekend I bought small piece of metal with some holes in it
at the flea market and I'm not sure if it was made for a reason or if
someone was just practicing with their drill. The guy who sold it to
me said that he got it from a machinist. The block is 1.75"l x
1.125"w x .625"h and the holes are .25" deep. There is a photo of it
at this link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...tt65/block.jpg

Anyone know why this might have been made?

Rob