John Armstrong

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:06:00 +0100, Mike wrote:

I've got an old Rapitest stud/joist/pipe/cable detector, bought 10 years ago
after I detected a cable with a drill bit.
Unfortunately, I've lost the destructions, and I don't know if its still
working or not. It seems to be working fine when switched to 'metal' mode,
(i.e. it squeals and the light comes on over a cable) - in 'wood mode' even
with the sensitivity set to full, it detects nothing - put it on a
windowledge and the light stays off and the very faintest of a ticking noise
can be heard - might just change the battery

Have you tried leaving it in metal mode and using it to find the
plasterboard screws/nails ?
Don't forget that there will probably be one or more rows of noggins going
between the studs, so once you have found what you think is a stud, go up
and down to make sure.
Are there any switches/sockets in the wall? You could (taking all
appropriate precautions of course) remove the faceplate and backbox and
probe through the hole to find the studs either side.

2 other questions - ;-)
1) the wall is an internal wall 2.4m long between two bedrooms, with only
the loft above. Will there definitely be studding, or am looking for
something that is not there ?

Yes, unless it is a brick/block wall :-)